30 March 2011

P2 Project Detailed Observation - Check and Log

I seem to have been at this stage for ages. I have been. It's taken me a long time to get through this section because I decided that to improve my skills, I would benefit from redoing the assignment 1 exercises and also that my learning log needed jazzing up.

My learning strategy is to alternate new assignment 2 exercises with old assignment 1 exercises. This seems to be working.

So now to the Check and Log questions in this section.

Which drawing media did you find most effective to use and for which effects?

I found that drawing pens are good for recording detail but are very permanent and if you make any mistakes you can't correct them. They produce even width lines and are good for shading and stippling.
I found graphite very flexible and easy to work with. I've now invested in quality pencils which are better because they have strong leads and you can maintain a sharp point. You can also use an eraser to correct mistakes. I found using the watersoluble pencils good fun and I liked the effect the faint colour wash made.

Did you enjoy capturing details or are you more at home creating big broad brush sketches.

I enjoy capturing details  more than big broad brush sketches. I like concentrating on the detail of a small area.

Look at the composition of the drawings you have done in this project. Make some sketches and notes about how you improve your composition.

A technique to improve composition would be to choose good objects, preferably interesting ones, make sure that the proportions of the objects work well together, consider the placement of the objects, look at lines created by the objects, balance positive and negative space, add contrast, remove unnecessary distracting details and balance colours carefully.

Did doing a line drawing get you to look at space more effectively.

Yes. I also found that drawing in a larger space ie A3 meant that more detail could be captured.

Overall I am pleased with what I learnt my going back to the basics of Assignment 1 and being more observant in this section.

No comments:

Post a Comment