22 February 2011

P2 Project Detailed Observation - Check and Log

I made the mistake of peeking at another student's work and then realised how far I have to go to draw well. But I keep reminding myself that I am really a Textile artist and the reason for doing this drawing course is to improve my sketching and drawing skills which I feel I have done.


So what's happened since the last post.


Well I managed to dust myself down and get up again and start drawing. And here we are, someway through Part 2. My latest drawings have been uploaded to the student website and it's now time to reflect on the drawings I have done for this project - Detailed Observation.


In general I am still finding it hard to translate what I see (and I am noticing more detail) to a drawing. The eye to hand conversion is not working too well.


So..


Which drawing media did you find the most effective to use, for which effects?
What sort of marks work well to create tone, pattern and texture?


For drawing a clean outline of an object (in my case the onion), i found the fibre tipped pen really effective because no sooner is the line drawn that the ink has dried. The downside it very unforgiving so great concentration is needed to make sure that mistakes are not made. The limited range of colours these pens come can either be a blessing (great, not too much choice!!) or limiting (eeek, I need more shades to get the look I want!!).


In the second exercise where we were told to use a soft pencil and do a drawing on A3 presented itself with a number of problems. First I misunderstood the bit about the soft pencil and tried to draw a shell in black soft graphite pencils (this is the point I looked another student's drawing and realised mine was just rubbish) and drawing a shell in A3 was just way outside my comfort zone. I became quite despondent and actually left the drawing for 10 days before talking myself back into the course. At this point, I rubbed out most of the black pencil and went over in soft graphite coloured pencils using a variety of shades of ochres, browns, oranges, reds and blue to bring out the tone and depth in the shell. I'm not convinced the result was great but the change to the coloured pencils defintely made a difference.


In the 3rd exercise, I used 2 fine markers (yellow and green) to try and draw stipples and dots to give effect of a bunch of Aucuba (Spotted Laurel leaves). i thought it was going to take all night to fill the leaves and you will see that each leaf has a different effect as I experimented with stipplig with and wihout the help of underneath shading from a soft pencil. I really don't think this technique worked for this example and in future I will leave stipples and dot effects for creating texture in a small area.


Did you enjoy capturing details or are you more at home creating big broad brush sketches?


I am defintely more at home with small scale detailed drawings


Look at the composition of the drawings you have done in this project. Make some sketches and notes about how you improve your composition


I am happy with my compositions so far.


Did doing a line drawing get you to look at space more effectively?


Yes, definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment