30 January 2011

P2 Project: Exploring coloured media - Check and Log

Which of the media you have experimented with did you find most expressive. Make notes in your learning log on the pros and cons of each medium.

I have found pencil to be t most expressive. You can use pressure or density of lines / hatching / shading to express different textures and tones.

Pros and Cons of Pencil: Pencil is very flexible and easy to work with and great for detail drawing. Also you can rub out mistakes. but it is hard work to work large areas and you can't smear pencil to create a blended effect.

Pros and Cons of Charcoal: I do not like charcoal at all - too messy for me so no pros for I'm afraid.

Pros and Cons of Pastel: I don't think i used pastels correctly. I used them on a smooth paper so they seemed to stick and be bitty. Having researched using pastels on the Internet, I have learnt that pastels work best on rough paper. It's very hard to erase though it smears and blends pretty easily. 

Pros and Cons of Watercolour: I could not make my watercolour pencils work. I need to do more research to understand. I have seen the effects of watercolour pencils and love the delicate colour wash effect they can give. I love the idea that you can get a watercolour effect without using a brush.I will be persevering with this method.

Pros and Cons of Ink: I quite like ink but can see problems in its permanence. For detail drawing it is great bu if you make a mistake, that's it.

Which medium do you think lends itself to very detailed work?

Definitely pencils and ink

Which techniques, tools and effects do you particularly enjoy? Make notes about your experiments.

I find cross hatching easy to do but difficult to get the right effect. I need to practice a lot more. I liek drawing lines - this tend to be how I doodle. I also really like shading using the side of the pencil because you can fill a large space quickly. In general though, I think I am doing OK.





No comments:

Post a Comment