28 November 2010

P1 Mark Making Research - Vincent Van Gogh

Since the last post, I discovered big time how LIFE can get int he way of Distance Learning. I'm still struggling to get it together and what I am realising is that I have to organise myself in such a way, that this becomes the first thing I do in the day. trying to do the studying after a day's worth of work just does not work for me.
So today, feeling bright breezy, I come back tot he course.
Today's learning task was the Research Point - Studying a Van Gogh pen and ink drawing.
After looking extensively on the Internet for drawings, of which there are many, I turned my attention to searching London galleries for a drawing. my thinking being that it would be better to see one 'in the flesh' so as to speak. I'm gutted to find that I missed the Van Gogh exhibition earlier this year at the Royal Academy. Still it has taught me to be on the lookout. I can't find any Van Gogh pen and ink drawings listed in any of the London galleries, so back to the Internet.

The drawing I have selected is Tree with Ivy in the Asylum, chosen primarily because there was an example of it on the Internet with a good enough resolution for me to print it out in A4 to study it. I love the drawing. I love the simplicity that simple short lines, straight, round, curled, twizzled, cross-hatched of different lengths and thicknesses can result in such an artwork.

I can honestly say that I have enjoyed this morning and learnt quite a bit about Van Gogh. It has enlightened me and I feel more confident to take on this course.


No comments:

Post a Comment